- Rooster Rock is located 22 miles east of Portland, Oregon from I-84 at Exit 25.
- Water sports, fishing, picnicking, hiking, Frisbee golf, and a separate nude beach area can be enjoyed year-round.
- Call 1 (800) 551-6949 or (503) 695-2261 for information.
Rooster Rock State Park provides one of Oregon’s favorite stops for Columbia River recreation. A rooster-shaped rock formation stands out from the gorge banks to lend the park its name. Three miles of river access open up a multitude of recreational opportunities—swimming, boating, fishing, and windsurfing—and the picnic areas, dog park, and disc golf courses get plenty of use too. One section of the beach, visually isolated from the rest by an outcrop, is designated clothing-optional.
Location & Information
Rooster Rock can be reached by taking Exit 25 from Interstate 84 about 22 miles east of Portland. The park is day-use, requiring a small fee, and open year-round. For information call 1 (800) 551-6949 or (503) 695-2261.
- Water recreation: Swimming, boating, and windsurfing. Rooster Rock is a popular spot for winter windsurfing, with wind speeds reaching 40 mph at times.
- Fishing: Catch bass, steelhead, and walleye here.
- Picnicking at open tables or covered shelters.
- Hiking: The easy 2-mile Volkwalk Trail heading at Rooster Rock takes hikers on a flat trail above the river, lined with oak and maple.
- Naturalism: Naturalists will enjoy the freedom of the nude beach area.
- Disc Golf: Rooster Rock has two Frisbee golf courses of different challenge levels.