- Located at W. 3rd and Lincoln Streets in The Dalles, Oregon.
- Open 11:00-3:00 Tues-Fri, 1:00-3:00 weekends; closed January.
- Available to rent for weddings and events.
Built in 1897, the original Catholic Church now known as the Old St. Peter’s Landmark provides a lovely example of Gothic Revival architecture in the Pacific Northwest. Located in downtown The Dalles, the landmark’s 176-foot steeple once served to help steamboats navigate the Columbia River, and still functions as a surveyor’s benchmark today.
Although Mass is no longer observed in this beautiful structure, the landmark is open to the public and available to rent for weddings or events. The attraction of Old St. Peter’s Landmark is measured by its six-foot weathervane rooster sitting atop a cross (the symbol of St. Peter); lovely rose and stained glass windows, celebrating local pioneer families; the 533-pound bell hanging in the belfry; and the Kilgen Pipe Organ constructed of rare tigerwood.
West 3rd & Lincoln Streets
The Dalles, OR 97058
- Tuesdays - Fridays, 11:00 am - 3 pm
- Weekends, 1 pm - 3 pm
- Closed Mondays and major holidays
- Closed all month in January
- Handicap-accessible and air-conditioned, with convenient parking.
No fee for admission; donations gladly accepted.
Old St. Peter’s Landmark faced threat of demolition in 1971. A small band of concerned citizens raised the funds needed to restore the building, by selling individual bricks and Rooster books and soliciting donations, and the landmark was saved.