..Verify your business
Sandy, Oregon calls itself the “Gateway to Mt. Hood,” and the town’s location and amenities are true to the title; visitors will find plenty to support a memorable Mt. Hood vacation here.
- Located halfway between Portland and Mt. Hood, Sandy, Oregon is called the “Gateway to Mt. Hood.”
- Lots of lodging, dining, and shopping reside in downtown Sandy.
- Come to experience the local flavor at two annual festivals, the Sandy Mountain Festival in July and Sandy Oktoberfest in October.
The census population of Sandy, Oregon is about 8,000, but the town forms the commercial center for a rural area supporting more than 20,000 residents. The town was named for the beds of the Sandy River which runs through town. This small city is surrounded by natural scenic and recreational areas, including rivers, lakes, wilderness, and of course Mt. Hood. Oregon’s largest city, Portland, is within reach just 25 miles to the west.
Sandy sits about 25 miles east of Portland and 30 miles west of Mt. Hood in the Cascade foothills, along the Barlow Road section of the historic Oregon Trail.
Sandy is a Mt. Hood visitor’s last stop before reaching the snow line, and the town is building its reputation as the gateway to the mountain—thus several hotels, resorts, bed and breakfasts, vacation rentals, and campgrounds are located in the area. And plenty of eateries, from coffee shops to pubs to fine dining, are scattered around Sandy’s streets. The City of Sandy’s transportation division offers shuttles to the mountain.
- Outdoor recreation on Mt. Hood, in the National Forest, and along the Sandy River.
- The Historic Barlow Road has several points of interest documenting the famous Oregon Trail.
- The Sandy Area Farm Loop takes tourists past alpaca, organic fruit and vegetable, and nursery farms.
- Live music and unique gifts can be found at the Sandy Mountain Market on Saturdays between May-October.
- In July, attend Sandy’s annual Sandy Mountain Festival in Meinig Memorial Park, featuring local art, music, and food.
- Sandy Oktoberfest is a family-oriented fundraising event for the city in October.
The easiest way to reach Sandy is by taking Highway 26 East from Portland about 25 miles right into the city limits.
Share Your Thoughts
- Sandy Historical Society
The Sandy Historical Society strives to preserve the area's history.
- Sandy Kiwanis
The Sandy Kiwanis is a local chapter serving the Sandy, Oregon area.
- Sandy Mountain Festival
The Sandy Mountain Festival is an annual art and music festival in Sandy, Oregon.
- Sandy Optimist Club
The Sandy Optimist Club strives to bring out the best in kids.
- Sandy, OR
The city of Sandy, Oregon is known as the gateway to Mount Hood.