Central Oregon is characterized by water—glacial lakes, snow-fed rivers, and the massive Columbia River—and Hood River visitors can swim in these natural bodies or at the Hood River Aquatic Center.
- Rivers, lakes, and city pools give swimmers ample opportunity to enjoy the Hood River swim scene.
- The Columbia River, state parks, recreation areas, and the Hood River Aquatic Center offer great swimming locations.
- Instruction in all water sports can be found in and around Hood River.
The multitude of lakes and waterways dotting the central Oregon countryside make the Hood River and Mt. Hood region a swimmer’s paradise. Whether you want to dip your feet in a glacial stream, dive into a snow lake, or take a few laps in an Olympic pool, your swimming desires can be satisfied here.
Where to Swim
A plethora of swimming holes and lakeside retreats can be found throughout central Oregon. Here’s a brief list of some favorite spots for Hood River visitors:
- The mighty Columbia River: State parks like Mayer, Viento, and Rooster Rock, and the Koberg Beach Recreation Site offer beach access along the Columbia for swimming.
- State Recreation Areas: Benson and Wildwood Recreation Areas surround lakes that provide great swimming locations.
- Hood River Aquatic Center at the corner of 17th and May Avenue (1601 May Avenue, Hood River, OR 97031). Swimming lessons, water aerobics, and family swim hours can be found here.
Equipment and Lessons
Many providers in the Hood River area offer swimming and water sports lessons for all ages and visitors seeking swimming, windsurfing, or kayaking instruction should explore the options on this page.
Share Your Thoughts
- Top Picks
- Kayak & Canoe
- Guides & Tours
- Fun For Kids
- Outdoor Rentals
- Chairlift Rides
- Columbia River Cruises
- Scenic Float Trips
- Motorcycle Tours
- Alpine Slide
- Whitewater Rafting
- Horseback Riding
- Windsurfing & Kiteboarding
- Golf Courses
- Horse Pack Trips
- Hiking & Backpacking
- Summer Skiing
- Camping & RV
- Bird Watching
- Wilderness Outfitters
- Hood River Valley Parks and Rec
Hood River Valley Parks and Recreation maintains the community aquatic center as well as other recreational and community facilities and open spaces.